- Online 3D modeling communities and marketplacesSave bandwidth, increase upload/download speed
Reduce storage requirements
Enhance visual quality
- CAD/CAM and 3D DesignProduce high quality 3D thumbnails and preview images
View and interact with imported models in real time
Add advanced VRML, STL and OBJ export
- GIS/BIM and ArchitectureOptimize complex models
Create multiple high-quality LODs in one stepIncrease visualization speed and reduce model sizes
- Medical ApplicationsReduce and optimize oversampled scanned data
Prepare realistic images for online viewing
- Virtual Reality and Training SimulatorsGenerate high-quality LOD on-demand with the best size/quality ratioIncrease rendering speed and mitigate hardware/software requirements
Featured solution - polygon decimation for online 3D model viewing
Cloud computing and 3D modeling used to have nothing in common. Not anymore. Cloud is an emerging trend now. New online 3D modeling communities and marketplaces appear every day on the web. However, most of the 3D models are quite big and too complex to be viewed in a browser, especially for interactive online 3D visualizations.
Vizup 3D optimization and polygon decimation technology helps to reduce the model size up to 100 times while preserving the visualization quality which drastically decreases the model loading time. The smaller model size also allows one to save bandwidth and storage space. 3D designers and CAD/CAM engineers use Vizup Desktop to optimize the model size before uploading the model to the cloud. Web site developers integrate Vizup SDK to decimate polygonal models before download and instantly generate multiple LODs with required size/quality ratios.
Case study: GrabCAD engineering community
GrabCAD has recently introduced new "3D View" functionality that allows users to see library models in 3D in a browser. To have their models available for 3D view, the engineers have to export a model in STL format and upload it to the GrabCAD web site. STL export from most CAD tools produces huge oversampled mesh that takes hours to upload and 20-40 download for 3D visualization. The case study shows that by using Vizup advanced polygon decimation technology, the users could reduce STL models by 95% without any visual quality degradation.